We’re about family, and friends, and fishing buddies, and everyone who makes up the great community of boating and enjoys the peace and exhilaration of an afternoon on the water.
Fishing is the genesis of our business and the core of our passion. Our boats are designed and built by fishing enthusiasts for fishing enthusiasts.
Many of our customers’ parents and grandparents owned an Alumacraft. They stick with us because we’ve been a part of their family and memories for generations. The quality we put into our boats builds trust that lasts forever.
Over the past 70 years, Alumacraft has proved itself to be a huge presence in the fishing world. A boat - or canoes - that needs virtually no hull maintenance. A line of boats that annually lead the market in innovation. A presence felt around the world. A boat that stays in the family for generations. A memory making machine. That’s an Alumacraft boat.
We started from humble beginnings. Our origins began in 1893, Eugene Tetzlaff moved from Germany and opened a blacksmith shop in Minneapolis. The shop became known as Flour City Ornamental Iron Company. Over the next few decades Flour City produced iron for the sustained construction of the Twin Cities. During World War 2, however, the company switched to producing airplane parts and aluminum pontoons to contribute to the war effort.
After the war, company president Harry J. Neils had a vision to produce aluminum fishing boats with the surplus of metal and skilled labor that was available. A year later, in 1946, the Alumacraft name and brand was born.
Manufacturing started small. Our first boat was the 12-foot Model B. It was a standard aluminum row boat that sold well in conjunction with a selection of canoes and duckboats. As the market became more intricate and consumers became more demanding over the next few years, Alumacraft began innovating by listening. Soon we introduced the Merry M in 14’ and 16’ options and featured. It was the first vessel that featured our “dropped deck” interior look, due to our protruded aluminum gunwales. The boat featured amenities consumers desired and sold well. In 1957, we then released the Super C, which was a larger boat that came in three color combinations. It was an instant success and led to the company outgrowing its current facilities.
Thus began a series of moves, ownership changes, and the continued introduction of new boats. In 1970, the company was bought by Timpte Industries, Inc. We then moved to a brand new 100,000 square foot plant in Saint Peter, MN. It’s been home ever since. In the new plant we saw continued growth. Our boats became more technically advanced, customizable, and had better features than the competition.
In 1974 Alumacraft gained a major foothold in the southern market by purchasing General Marine Corporation in Arkadelphia, Arkansas. This added a range of southern fishing boats to our inventory and increased sales nationwide. Suddenly, we had two homes.
Over the 80s and 90s we were fortunate enough to enjoy further sales and success. Our formula was simple: hire the best available people, listen to our customers, and build boats the way they wanted. To this day, our dedication to our customers has driven our success.
In 1996, Alumacraft celebrated its golden anniversary, the company produced more than 500,000 boats, making it one of the largest and oldest boat manufacturers in the country. During the 50th year, the company also introduced its revolutionary 2XB hull, the industries toughest hull system to date.
Durability, innovation, talented employees, and an unwavering dedication to the customer, that’s the Alumacraft way. It’s worked for the last 70 years. And, if you keep telling us what you want, it’ll work for 70 more."
315 W. Saint Julien St.
St. Peter, MN 56082